Posts for: June, 2015
A E Skin held out third our third annual Summer Soiree on Tuesday June 23, 2015 from 6 PM to 8 PM in the office. It was another outstanding event. Guests were able to enjoy refreshments compliments of Allergan (makers of Botox, Juvederm, Voluma, and Latisse) and take photographs on the red carpet. We featured Voluma and Ultherapy at the event. Voluma is a new and exciting dermal filler now available at A E Skin that is placed in the upper cheeks to provide the volume and support we naturally lose over time. You see an instant lift and you will enjoy the results for up to two years. Ultherapy is a non-surgical facelift alternative also available at A E Skin that uses ultrasound to produce new, fresh, and healthy collagen, tightening up the skin and improving wrinkles and sagging skin with zero down time. Results with Ultherapy are seen over three to six months and you will enjoy your results for a few years. The highlight of the night was our live Ultherapy demonstration, where Dr. Alex performed a brow lift treatment on a forehead. Our guests were able to see how fast and easy the Ultherapy procedure is. We were delighted to do the Ultherapy demonstration in our beautiful new treatment room which will be ready soon. We had exclusive raffle prizes and everyone in attendance received a gift bag. We look forward to our upcoming events including our Botox Bonanza on Tuesday July 21, 2015 and Thursday July 23, 2015 and our Red Carpet Event in September 2015. Please contact us for a free consultation with Dr. Alex to discuss how you can rejuvenate your skin with Voluma, Ultherapy, and other products and treatments.
Voluma before and after (actual patient)
Ultherapy before and after (model)
One of the most common questions we get is "How much Botox do I need?" Before answering the question, it is important to understand how a Botox treatment works. The amount of Botox used goes by units, and that is the most important thing to know. The volume of product in milliliters is not important because it can be prepared in different ways. The second point is to understand that everyone's skin is different, so it is important to have a constulation with an experienced injector who can give you an accurate estimate of what you need. The amount of Botox needed depends on your goals, the area treated, your skin, your age, and your gender. Some people prefer their skin to be completely relaxed and others prefer slight softening of the lines with significant expression. Botox relaxes muscles so the amount used has to do with the size and bulk of the individual muscles. Older people have used their muscles for longer and often times have stronger muscles, requiring higher dosing. Also, in general men have stronger muscles than women and require higher dosing. The most common areas of treatment with Botox are the forehead (10 - 20 units), the frown lines (20 - 40 units), and the crow's feet (6 - 16 units). Dosing in the lower face is usually lower. Bunny lines are treated with 2 - 4 units per side as is the gummy smile. Lips are treated with 2 - 4 units as are the corners of the mouth. The dimpled appearance on the chin can be treated with 2- 6 units. The masseter muscle is used for biting, it is a large muscle and can give a square shape to the lower face; dosing here is 12 - 24 units per side. Neck bands are treated with 6 - 12 units per band. Contact us for a free consultation with Dr. Alex.
While Botox is most commonly used in the upper face, there are a few secrets in the lower face to rejuvenate your skin. Botox is a purified protein used to treat certain wrinkles on the face. When injected into the mucle, Botox will relax the muscle and smoothen out the overlying wrinkles. The most common areas of treatment are the forehead, between the brows, and the crow's feet around the eyes. Some people have what is called a gummy smile, which means that the lips are elevated so high on smiling that the upper gums are seen. The gummy smile can be treated with two to four units of Botox placed just to the sides of the nostrils. A small minority of people have a muscle just under the nose that pulls the tip of the nose down when smiling. This is treated with one to two units of Botox just under the nose. Smoker's lines, which can occur in people who don't smoke, are the vertical lines above and below the lips which can be seen at rest or when you purse your lips. A few units of Botox above and below the lips can soften these lines. Some people have a strong muscle in the lower face which pulls down the corners of the mouth. Two to four units of Botox can be used to provide a subtle lift of about one millimeter, improving the sad appearance. Finally, some people have a dimpled or orange peel appearance on the chin with certain facial expressions. Two to four units of Botox here can smoothen the skin. When treating the lower face, it is important to understand that very small amounts of Botox are used so as to avoid difficulties with using the mouth for eating, speaking, and breathing. While side effects are rare in the lower face, the most common is an assymmetric smile, which will last no longer than the three to four months Botox typically lasts. Botox in the lower face can be combined with fillers such as Juvederm and Voluma for outstanding results. Contact us to schedule a free consultation with Dr. Alex.
Face it, we all hate those wrinkles that form on the face and other areas over time. Here are ten tips to prevent and reduce those unwanted wrinkles.
- Sunscreen. Use a sunscreen with a minimun SPF of 30 everyday. This will help prevent further damage and keep the wrinkles from getting worse. If you don't use sunscreen, you're fighting an uphill battle. The Elta MD sunscreens are outstanding choices.
- Retinoids. Retinoid products such as retinol and retin-A will stimulate collagen production, which naturally slows down over time. This new collagen will tighten up those wrinkles. The A E Skin Brightening Cream contains retin-A with two other brightening agents.
- Antioxidants. Antioxidants such as vitamin C help reduce the damage caused by sun, chemicals, and polution in the air. The damage causes breakdown of collagen via free radicals. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals and block this. Vitamin C is also a cofactor for collagen formation. The A E Skin Triple Antioxidant Serum contains the most active form of vitamin C and is prepared so that it penetrates into the deep layers of the skin effectively.
- Healthy Lifestyle. The importance of a healthy lifestyle cannot be overemphasized. This includes eating a healthy diet, drinking enough water, exercising regularly, getting enough sleep, and avoiding bad habits such as smoking. Smoking has been shown to cause wrinkles in the skin in twin studies.
- Botox. Botox is a quick and easy treatment to address wrinkles that are formed when we make facial expressions. The most common areas treated with Botox are the horizontal lines on the forehead seen when we raise our eyebrows, the vertical lines between the brows seen when we frown, and the crows feet around the eyes seen when we smile. Results from a Botox treatment can be seen in as early as a few days and you will enjoy your results for three to four months. Click here to watch a Botox treatment demonstration video.
- Voluma. Voluma is one of the newer fillers now available for mid-face enhancement. Voluma replaces the volume and structure that is lost in the cheeks naturally over time. This pulls the lower half of the face up and gives you back the apple of your cheeks. Often times after a Voluma treatment, the lift can be seen right away and you will enjoy your results for up to two years.
- Juvederm. Juvederm is perhaps the best filler for treating the smile lines, the lines that go from the sides of the nose to the corners of the mouth. Sometimes these lines continue all the way to the jawline. When combined with Voluma, Juvederm treatments will provide you with a refreshed, healthy, and rested appearance. You will enjoy your Juvederm results for up to 15 months.
- Ultherapy. Ultherapy is an exciting non-surgical facelift alternative that uses the power of ultrasound to provide focused and targeted energy to stimulate new, fresh, and healthy collagen into the deeper layers of the skin without any recovery time. Results with Ultherapy are seen over three to six months after a treatment and you will enjoy your results for a few years.
- Laser Skin Tightening. Laser skin tightening is a great way to reduce those fines lines and wrinkles as well as enlarged pores. It also works well on redness and broken capillaries. There is no down time and most people do a series of three to six treatments every two weeks for best results.
- Fractional Laser. Fractional laser treatments such as the Pro Fractional Therapy create microscopic holes in the skin. These holes create a tiny wound, and the body reacts to the wound by building new collagen. Since the whole skin surface is not treated, the recovery is much shorter than traditional laser resurfacing treatments. On the other hand, more treatments are required.