Posts for tag: Skin care
If you wear makeup, Dr. Alex will urge you to follow a daily skin care routine to keep your skin clear of impurities. Leaving makeup on overnight causes it to become trapped in sweat and oil, leaving your skin open to blemishes and breakouts. To prevent these unwanted imperfections, Dr. Alex suggests using a makeup-removing pre-moistened wipe to clean the surface of your skin, then washing for 30 to 45 seconds with a mild cleanser such as the Elta MD Foaming Facial Cleanser and warm water. Using water that's too hot can also rinse away moisture from the skin, leaving it dehydrated.
Don't overdo it
Acne treatment products are designed to dry up oils that cause pimples to develop. However, Dr. Alex cautions against overuse of these products. Acne treatments can contain salicylic acid (such as the A E Skin Acne Max Solution) or benzoyl peroxide which, when used correctly, are excellent at fighting breakouts. However, less is definitely more when it comes to applying these products; they can cause excessive dryness and peeling. Using an oil-free moisturizer after applying them can prevent your skin from becoming dried out.
It might seem like you're doing the right thing by removing whiteheads, blackheads and other blemishes with your nails or other tools. However, Dr. Alex encourages you to adopt a hands-free policy when it comes to your skin. Bacteria on your fingers or under your nails can transfer to a pimple, leading to an infection and a much more noticeable eyesore. It can even lead to scarring.
Face it, we all hate those wrinkles that form on the face and other areas over time. Here are ten tips to prevent and reduce those unwanted wrinkles.
- Sunscreen. Use a sunscreen with a minimun SPF of 30 everyday. This will help prevent further damage and keep the wrinkles from getting worse. If you don't use sunscreen, you're fighting an uphill battle. The Elta MD sunscreens are outstanding choices.
- Retinoids. Retinoid products such as retinol and retin-A will stimulate collagen production, which naturally slows down over time. This new collagen will tighten up those wrinkles. The A E Skin Brightening Cream contains retin-A with two other brightening agents.
- Antioxidants. Antioxidants such as vitamin C help reduce the damage caused by sun, chemicals, and polution in the air. The damage causes breakdown of collagen via free radicals. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals and block this. Vitamin C is also a cofactor for collagen formation. The A E Skin Triple Antioxidant Serum contains the most active form of vitamin C and is prepared so that it penetrates into the deep layers of the skin effectively.
- Healthy Lifestyle. The importance of a healthy lifestyle cannot be overemphasized. This includes eating a healthy diet, drinking enough water, exercising regularly, getting enough sleep, and avoiding bad habits such as smoking. Smoking has been shown to cause wrinkles in the skin in twin studies.
- Botox. Botox is a quick and easy treatment to address wrinkles that are formed when we make facial expressions. The most common areas treated with Botox are the horizontal lines on the forehead seen when we raise our eyebrows, the vertical lines between the brows seen when we frown, and the crows feet around the eyes seen when we smile. Results from a Botox treatment can be seen in as early as a few days and you will enjoy your results for three to four months. Click here to watch a Botox treatment demonstration video.
- Voluma. Voluma is one of the newer fillers now available for mid-face enhancement. Voluma replaces the volume and structure that is lost in the cheeks naturally over time. This pulls the lower half of the face up and gives you back the apple of your cheeks. Often times after a Voluma treatment, the lift can be seen right away and you will enjoy your results for up to two years.
- Juvederm. Juvederm is perhaps the best filler for treating the smile lines, the lines that go from the sides of the nose to the corners of the mouth. Sometimes these lines continue all the way to the jawline. When combined with Voluma, Juvederm treatments will provide you with a refreshed, healthy, and rested appearance. You will enjoy your Juvederm results for up to 15 months.
- Ultherapy. Ultherapy is an exciting non-surgical facelift alternative that uses the power of ultrasound to provide focused and targeted energy to stimulate new, fresh, and healthy collagen into the deeper layers of the skin without any recovery time. Results with Ultherapy are seen over three to six months after a treatment and you will enjoy your results for a few years.
- Laser Skin Tightening. Laser skin tightening is a great way to reduce those fines lines and wrinkles as well as enlarged pores. It also works well on redness and broken capillaries. There is no down time and most people do a series of three to six treatments every two weeks for best results.
- Fractional Laser. Fractional laser treatments such as the Pro Fractional Therapy create microscopic holes in the skin. These holes create a tiny wound, and the body reacts to the wound by building new collagen. Since the whole skin surface is not treated, the recovery is much shorter than traditional laser resurfacing treatments. On the other hand, more treatments are required.
The summer is now here and it is important to know what skin care products to use this season. Often times the days are more humid, so some people prefer using a lighter moisturizer such as the Elta MD AM Therapy during the daytime. But the biggest changed to your skin care regimen have to do with your behavior. During the summer, the weather is warmer and people tend to spend more time outside. So sunscreen use becomes very important. It is not that there is no sun during the other seasons; in fact you can get a sunburn during the winter and sunscreen should be used every day, year round. But if you are outdoors for prolonged periods, you will need to reapply your sunscreen every one to two hours. One of our most popular sunscreens is the Elta MD UV Clear because it is light and rubs in easily with an SPF of 46. This is because it contains a micronized zinc formultation, so it does not leave a thick white residue that you often see in other sunscreens with high SPF values. It also contains nicainamide, or vitamin B3, which calms the skin and decreases redness. It has a very calming feel on the skin. The Elta MD UV Physical and UV Daily Tinted are alternatives with tint for those who want a sunscreen that acts as a makeup primer. The UV Physical has a matte finish while the UV Daily Tinted is more hydrating in feel. While applying sunscreen to the face, be sure to take care of your body too. Any areas of skin that are exposed to the sun need to be protected. The Elta MD UV Aero sunscreen is a fantastic product. It comes in a spray bottle that is used from the neck down. It is easy to spray onto the skin and rubs in smoothly and nicely. People love if because you don't have to rub your entire body. The Elta MD UV Lip Balm is another great product that both moisturizes the lip and provides sun protection. It has a very mild mint flavor that people enjoy. Check out the Elta MD Skin care products we carry at A E Skin. Contact us for a free consultation with Dr. Alex.
We are proud to carry the A E Skin line of products for our patients. Our skin care products work for just about any type of skin and address multiple concerns. The Brightening Cream is our most popular product, we can't keep it on the shelves. The Brightening Cream has three prescription strength ingredients to treat dark spots and discolorations as well as fine lines, wrinkles, enlarged pores, acne, and acne scars. The Brightening Cream works well to treat damaged skin and at the same time providing rejuvenation for anti-aging effects. Some people can get dry with this product, which is why many people combine it with the Hydrating Serum. The Hydrating Serum is like drinking a glass of water for your skin. It contains hyaluronic acid, which draws water into the skin and hydrates dry skin while improving fine lines and wrinkles. The Hydrating Serum is used twice a day just before moisturizer. The Triple Antioxidant Serum is another popular product. Vitamins C and E with ferulic acid will boost the sun protection from sunscreen, preventing damage in the form of dark spots, fine lines, and wrinkles. Vitamin C also helps stimulate collagen formation, to provide the tight and youthful appearance people want. The Triple Antioxidant Serum works in different ways than the Brightening Cream and together they provide a powerful punch. The Triple Antioxidant Serum is applied in the morning while the Brightening Cream is applied at night. The Exfoliating Serum rounds out the core products in the A E Skin line of products. Containing salicylic acid, it dissolves the glue that holds the dead skin cells together on the skin surface, providing a gently daily exfoliation. A stronger version, the Acne Max Solution, contains 50 % more salicylic acid along with other ingredients targeting acne to help with redness and killing the bacteria in the skin. For best results, the products are used for four to eight weeks prior to treatments such as the Forever Young BBL IPL photofacial treatment, Micro Laser Peel, Soft and Smooth Rejuvenation, Pro Fractional Therapy, Ultimate Rejuvenation, chemical peels, and Ultherapy. The collagen boost from the A E Skin products complements treatments such as Botox, Juvederm, and Voluma. Please see our video testimonials from our satisfied patients. Women who are pregnant or breast feeding should not use the Brightening Cream, Exfoliating Serum, or Acne Max solution. Contact us for a free constulation with Dr. Alex.